What is your LEAST favorite type of skill?

This is the place for people to research themes and ideas for their mods as well as for others to post their suggestions for mod makers to make use of.

Moderator: Nefarius

Melee
No votes
Ranged Weapon (Bows,Xbows, Throwing Weapons)
17%
Casting
17%
Buff (This includes auras)
17%
Debuff/Weakening Skill (Curses and conviction-like auras)
No votes
Passive
No votes
Summoning
17%
Non-Damaging Support (Bone Wall, Bone Prison, teleport)
17%
Skills that don't make your foes feel compelled to dance!
17%

Total votes: 6

Jase
Champion of the Light
United States of America

Post by Jase » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:36 am

A follow up to my last poll, on people's favorite type of skills, now I'm curious:

What is your LEAST favorite type of skill and why? How do you feel this skill detracts from gameplay value? Any gripings on overpower/underpower? How do you feel these types of skills could be improved?
Terran Marine wrote:I came here to kick ass and chew bubblegum! And I'm all out of ... agh, forget it!

mirecek
Dark Alliance Beta Test
Arch-Angel

Re: What is your LEAST favorite type of skill?

Post by mirecek » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:36 am

if you would have to pick one LEAST favorite from those

whirlwind
guided arrow
frozen orb
fanaticism
decrepify
lycantrophy
oak sage
teleport
terror

what it would be?

Pardon me, but I see this question placed not correctly. If you want to balance skills, I would pick a class / skilltree and then asked myself or forums, did I ever used those skills?

In my opinion, the LEAST used skills are

spear tree, lightning skills except LF&CS, fire traps, charge-up tree, poison dagger/expolosion, summon passives, find item tree, resistance auras, inferno, any prereq. skill that has stronger copy few levels later., spirit of barbs, solar creeper, firestorm, arctic blast

tl,dr: there are too much skills to pick from, but in most cases you will follow "bigger numbers". The problem is, most of the standard game can be beaten with brute force, and you need to start hardcore group if you want to use tactical skills
"Each of those few chords separated by complete silence feels like a knife wound to the heart"

There is no greater sorrow than to recall happiness in times of misery. Draconian

Nimbostratus
Paladin

Post by Nimbostratus » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:15 pm

I'd have to say it's the buff skills that get me.

In vanilla D2, any buff you use is going to be one that you always want on. This means you have to constantly stop to recast all of them, which gets to be annoying. Either make it always on, or make it a short burst you use only when necessary.

Auras bug me because I have to waste my right-click on them and thus make the character a little harder to control properly (no scroll wheel to swap attacks)

kidpaddle94
Forum Legend
Principality
Canada

Post by kidpaddle94 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:25 pm

what I don't like is skills with super AoE and that pwn everything in your way easy, without any startegy needed. etc...

Ignaitus
Champion of the Light

Post by Ignaitus » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:52 pm

Mine is casting in general. I prefer to be IN YO FACE! Mostly why I hate casting is from the mages from both vanilla D1/2. Mana Shield/Fireball/Teleport, you all know the deal. Hard to make early game, EZ mode end game.

My mod is removing nearly all forms of teleport. The only one you will ever get is as a proc, or an edited dragon flight skill that instead teleports the enemy, and thats about it. You just gotta walk now....

Jase
Champion of the Light
United States of America

Post by Jase » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:10 am

mirecek" wrote: The problem is, most of the standard game can be beaten with brute force, and you need to start hardcore group if you want to use tactical skills
I think one main reason for this is that the majority of monsters are melee. This lets a sorc kite them and bombard them with her skills. There are a few ranged monsters in the game but: 1. The rogues' arrows don't move fast enough 2. Quill rats tickle 3. By time you make it to oblivion knights and abyss knights, you're strong enough to deal with them without giving it a second thought.
Nimbostratus" wrote: Auras bug me because I have to waste my right-click on them and thus make the character a little harder to control properly (no scroll wheel to swap attacks)

Truth. It'd be cool if auras could go on left-click optionally. Also, restriction on whether or not any skill can be on left-click is kind of irritating. Why should Blizzard feel the need to cramp anyone's style?
Ignaitus" wrote:My mod is removing nearly all forms of teleport. The only one you will ever get is as a proc, or an edited dragon flight skill that instead teleports the enemy, and thats about it. You just gotta walk now....
Good idea. Or, at least add some kind of skill delay. I feel like it causes people to ignore the scenery of the game and just zoom through it. Also, enigma ruined dueling. Now, if you don't have one, you pretty much can't hit anything. Velocity% gear is now mostly obsolete in duels. Everybody teleports in duels with hit and run tactics. If they don't, they're desynching you instead. It makes it pretty much required to have an enigma in duels, which makes for a really boring game in the end.
Terran Marine wrote:I came here to kick ass and chew bubblegum! And I'm all out of ... agh, forget it!

Return to “Mod Concepts & Research”