Empty headed

Post here about all aspects of D2 mod making whether it's information, problems or whatever. Please specify whether your post is relating to Classic D2 or the Expansion.

Moderator: Nizari

Woodfist
France

Empty headed

Post by Woodfist » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:48 am

Hi,
I'm fond of Diablo 2. I play it on Single Player, on Bnet and with TCP/IP on a local network. I often search for information about it. Amidst the Google results there are D2mods or mapping and some editing tools. I've never tried one of these mods. The game's perfect as it is and I don't have enough imagination to figure out a new story.
As far as I'm concerned I like breaking things.Barrel, Urns, whatever antique potteries even evil urn !
So I would like to make a map full of barrel and these kind of breakable things.
Is it possible with the actual tools ?
Thank you!
Fear for the Sanctuary equilibrium. :cry:

Woodfist
France

Re: Empty headed

Post by Woodfist » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:55 pm

And so the best editor to start with would be ? win_ds1edit from Paul Siramy but it's very complex. Don't tell me ot's the only one!?
Thank you for the tutorials.

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:30 pm

thats the only editor we have, once you learn use it, you will be happy we have one. I personally find it great.

Woodfist
France

Post by Woodfist » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:10 pm

Ok, I've quickly soared over the documentation from Siramy. I've launched Tristram.bat.
It's fun to see Griswold standing still on the map btw.
I managed to add a tree but how to test this map in the game without overwriting the actual Tristram map ?
I didn't find any barrel in the tiles either.

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:38 pm

press <tab> so you get into object mode, then insert to add a new object. For add actual map without use extended level plugin you stuck with replace existing levels. but, for testing any preset map would suit as testing ground (like tristram).

Woodfist
France

Post by Woodfist » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:09 pm

Thanks. I ´ve just seen there’s a lot of information here.
I should spend more time gathering information before asking silly questions :)

Volf
Retired Admin
Dominion
Finland

Hand-picked

Post by Volf » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:40 pm

Woodfist wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:09 pm
I should spend more time gathering information before asking silly questions
On the other hand that is what the community is here for.
Trying to figure something out on your own for too long without figuring it out can easily turn something fun it to something frustrating.

Woodfist
France

Post by Woodfist » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:59 am

That’s right. It’s a danger because it inevitably leaves you far from ur initial goal but in the same time the way between both end can be interesting.
I came to this conclusion as a fatality and anyway that's an obvious wisdom :) because, hell, I’ve already spent many hours trying to understand something out of my scope and I’m lost in translation :)

Woodfist
France

Post by Woodfist » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:15 pm

I've read further tutorials about tweaking the txt database but I wasn't able to see the result in game. I opened more bat with Duriel.ds1 and lutN.ds1. As I said for Griswold it's fun to see Duriel standing still in her chamber.
In Lut Gholein the ds1 allow to overview the whole map. I had never seen the full Meshiff's boat. When I'm playing it's always cut down at the screen boundary.
I will discover other ds1 but I don't know how to save a custom map for the game.

Ogodei
Senior Moderator
Angel
Italy

Hand-picked

Post by Ogodei » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:38 pm

Make your edits, then CTRL+S to save.
Now, a new ds1 file should have appeared. It should have the same name of the level you just edited, with the addition of a number (i.e Duriel-001.ds1): you have to rename that in order to remove the numbers before the .ds1 extension and place it in your Data\Global\Tiles directory :)
Be sure it matches both the name and the sub-folder of the original ds1 !

Return to “General Mod Making”