Having issues with editing Holy Freeze to chill instead of auto slow, the chill is ignoring thawing potions

Post here about all aspects of D2 mod making whether it's information, problems or whatever. Please specify whether your post is relating to Classic D2 or the Expansion.

Moderator: Nizari

Question

Having issues with editing Holy Freeze to chill instead of auto slow, the chill is ignoring thawing potions

Post by Question » Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:36 pm

What I did was change Holy Freeze to not slow the target, and apply a chill effect instead.

So basically i removed aurastat1-aurastat3 which has the slowing component of the aura. Works great, the aura no longer slows. But this also meant that the aura's cold damage doesnt chill targets (they do not turn blue and do not get slowed down when taking the cold damage).

I then tried to make the aura slow by giving it a chill effect. I gave it an "ELen" of 100 frames (4 seconds). Targets hit by the aura now turn blue and get chilled, slowing them.

But in my testing, the aura completely ignores thawing potions, which are supposed to make you immune to chill. I can still get slowed by Duriel's holy freeze aura even if I drink thawing potions before hand.

I thought this might be due to the auratargetstate and changed it to "cold", which is explictly referenced by thawing potions...but no luck, the aura still chills me when i use thawing potions.

Does anyone know why its ignoring thawing potions like this?

Edit : I did more testing. Even if i remove "auratargetstate", i still take chill and constant cold damage from the aura. How is that possible? Its very obvious when i increase the radius of the skill because I still take cold damage and am chilled even when Duriel is not in melee range. That cold damage and chill seems to ignore thawing potions entirely.

Cypress
Champion of the Light

Re: Having issues with editing Holy Freeze to chill instead of auto slow, the chill is ignoring thawing potions

Post by Cypress » Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:20 pm

That's great. You've discovered an obscure interaction. I thought that it was impossible to make auras apply slowing via cold. But it would seem that auras can successfully slow with cold if:
(1) The aura gives no aurastats.
(2) The aura deals cold damage.
(3) The aura has ELen.
The auratargetstate doesn't actually matter here, all of the cold slowing is done by the damage itself.

As to why Thawing Potions are so ineffective, note that they will only clear the state if you already have it. Since cold is being re-applied every 2 seconds, thawing potions don't really do anything against your version of Holy Freeze unless you chug Thawing Potions like crazy.

If you want to make it so Thawing Potions give immunity to cold, then you could give the Thawing Potion: stat3=item_cannotbefrozen, calc3=1; which would make you immune to the cold state for the entire duration of the Thawing Potion.

Question

Re: Having issues with editing Holy Freeze to chill instead of auto slow, the chill is ignoring thawing potions

Post by Question » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:21 pm

Cypress wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:20 pm
That's great. You've discovered an obscure interaction. I thought that it was impossible to make auras apply slowing via cold. But it would seem that auras can successfully slow with cold if:
(1) The aura gives no aurastats.
(2) The aura deals cold damage.
(3) The aura has ELen.
The auratargetstate doesn't actually matter here, all of the cold slowing is done by the damage itself.

As to why Thawing Potions are so ineffective, note that they will only clear the state if you already have it. Since cold is being re-applied every 2 seconds, thawing potions don't really do anything against your version of Holy Freeze unless you chug Thawing Potions like crazy.

If you want to make it so Thawing Potions give immunity to cold, then you could give the Thawing Potion: stat3=item_cannotbefrozen, calc3=1; which would make you immune to the cold state for the entire duration of the Thawing Potion.
Oh, i thought thawing potions made you immune to the freeze/cold conditions by default (i did a search and kept finding all these posts saying thats what it did). I experimented with item_cannotbefrozen earlier today as well and it worked.

Return to “General Mod Making”