.tbl editing?

This forum is dedicated to platform-specific issues, discussions and tools relating to D2 modding for the Mac.

Moderator: Contrail

No votes

Total votes: 0

titanhunter_TcM

.tbl editing?

Post by titanhunter_TcM » Sun Mar 14, 2004 5:53 am

What programs are there that can add strings to the .tbl files for macintosh? Mpqtool just lets you edit the existing ones.

Joel
Dominion

Hand-picked

Re: .tbl editing?

Post by Joel » Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:32 am

Hmmm you can try the Enquettar scriopt.
It's a perl script that export the tbl into a tab separated file or a TSF into tbl.
"How much suffering, mortal, does it take before you lose your grace?"
Shadow Empire (coming soon) | forum

Souricette
Retired staff
Paladin

Hand-picked

Post by Souricette » Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:47 am

TBL question for TBL experts... If I were to add a "Add TBL entry" feature to my program, what would be the things to ask the user to specify? I guess it would be a 2-fields dialog (one for key, one for value), but is there something I should remember when doing so?
I'm concerned by the <by-index> entries (the ones with with "x" key), and I don't really have a clear vision on what would be required to update them somehow in the patch file, and how I may interfere with them if I was to change inadvertantly the order of the entries in the TBL file...

Souricette

Joel
Dominion

Hand-picked

Post by Joel » Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:18 pm

Souricette";p="160920" wrote:TBL question for TBL experts... If I were to add a "Add TBL entry" feature to my program, what would be the things to ask the user to specify? I guess it would be a 2-fields dialog (one for key, one for value), but is there something I should remember when doing so?
I'm concerned by the <by-index> entries (the ones with with "x" key), and I don't really have a clear vision on what would be required to update them somehow in the patch file, and how I may interfere with them if I was to change inadvertantly the order of the entries in the TBL file...

Souricette
To add an entry , just ask for a key and the value for the entry. then compute the mumbo jumbo needed to insert it into the tbl.

I advice you to NOT add index insertion. The 'x' key are read by hardcoded reference and won't be affected by your 'classic' insertion.
Index insertion however will lead to possible loss of index for those hardcoded key.

A nice feature that is now shared by the 3 major tbl editor for pc ( afj''s, Evil_Peeer's and mine) is to export the tbl into a CVS or tab deleimted file and allwo importing such file.
"How much suffering, mortal, does it take before you lose your grace?"
Shadow Empire (coming soon) | forum

Myhrginoc
Retired Admin
Cherub
United States of America

Hand-picked

Post by Myhrginoc » Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:05 am

If you want to add some sophistication, make the Blizzard keys fixed in position and do whatever you want with added keys. As Joel says, don't affect existing record order, since Blizzard hardcoded everything with an X key and some others besides. (Several keys have non-X names in 1.10 that were X in 1.09, but the references are still by position.) But there is no reason why you can't add, insert, move around, edit and delete the keys a modder puts in after the Blizzard entries.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
~ Mark Twain
Run Diablo II in any version for mods: tutorial
The Terms of Service!! Know them, abide by them, and enjoy the forums at peace.
The Beginner's Guide v1.4: (MS Word | PDF) || Mod Running Scripts || TFW: Awakening

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:36 am

There are a lot of hardcoded lookups in both string.tbl and expansionstring.tbl so like already have mentioned don't change the order for existing entries.

Return to “Mac Modding”