Which Mods are Mac compatible?

This forum is dedicated to platform-specific issues, discussions and tools relating to D2 modding for the Mac.

Moderator: Contrail

rickcarson
Paladin

Which Mods are Mac compatible?

Post by rickcarson » Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:31 pm

I've been reading through the forum, and its seems that

(a) noone is complaining about 'Mod X' does not work with my Mac
(b) but the Mac files are in a different binary format from the PC files, so you shouldn't (?) just be able to download the mods are run them without doing a lot of fiddling around.

Does everyone just use one of the MPQ tools to pull out the mods .txt files and shove them back in (in the 'correct' (for mac)) binary format??

Is this how using other peoples mods has always been done for macs and so noone complains?

I can't see how both (a) and (b) could both be true!??? Have I completely misunderstood something? (Quite likely)

Also I guess we Macers won't be able to use any mods which edit the machine code, but I don't think that most of them do that anyway (that seems to me the 'extreme' (as in drinking mountain dew and headbutting goats) sport of modding).

So which Mods do people use (and like :) on the Mac?
Last edited by rickcarson on Mon Aug 30, 2004 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Volf
Retired Admin
Dominion
Finland

Hand-picked

Re: Which Mods are Mac compatible?

Post by Volf » Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:46 pm

@rickcarson Al mpq format mods work with mac's,.

What we do here at the keep has nothing to do with hacking,, mods are different versions of the game or patches.. Please do not use the term hack in the future. Thanks

rickcarson
Paladin

Post by rickcarson » Mon Aug 30, 2004 11:23 pm

Thanks for your reply.

How then do I tell if a Mod is an MPQ mod?

You completely misunderstood my use of the word 'hacking'.
My fault though, I'm such an old school programmer that the word means something different to me. I'll edit my post accordingly, but I was MOST DEFINITELY NOT talking about what I would call 'cracking'.

Homey don't play dat way!

Edit: I used the word hack twice - once in reference to having to use external tools to pull things out of and stuff things back in to the MPQs. (as in the stickied tutorial a couple of posts up at the top of the page)
The second use of 'hack' you can see many examples of... over at the code editing forum.

Neither use was particularly ambiguous.

The Phrozen Keep is *all about* hacking. But of course, the 'good' kind of hacking (in its original sense), certainly not the bad kind of hacking, and you'd have to *really* twist my original post and take it way out of context to think I was talking about bad hacking!
Last edited by rickcarson on Mon Aug 30, 2004 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:06 am

You completely misunderstood my use of the word 'hacking'.
My fault though, I'm such an old school programmer that the word means something different to me. I'll edit my post accordingly, but I was MOST DEFINITELY NOT talking about what I would call 'cracking'.

Homey don't play dat way!

Edit: I used the word hack twice - once in reference to having to use external tools to pull things out of and stuff things back in to the MPQs. (as in the stickied tutorial a couple of posts up at the top of the page)
The second use of 'hack' you can see many examples of... over at the code editing forum.

Neither use was particularly ambiguous.

The Phrozen Keep is *all about* hacking. But of course, the 'good' kind of hacking (in its original sense), certainly not the bad kind of hacking, and you'd have to *really* twist my original post and take it way out of context to think I was talking about bad hacking!
Phrozen Keep is not at all about hacking. In our ToS it's specially mentioned its not even allowed to discuss hacking, that's why volf pointed it out for you and you have no reason to give him the answer back to him in the way you did.

It's a big difference between code editing and hacking, even if both use same type of teqnique (ie. change the code). But, they have different intentions. A hack is intented to "cheat" or do anything else evil, a code edit add anything to a mod because of a reason (to add or change a feature).

Now, then we have clear this out. Let us go back to your main question instead.

How then do I tell if a Mod is an MPQ mod?
Any mod that doesn't include modified dll files work on mac. Some mods that have modified dll files still work on mac, but you don't get the feature the mod have added.

Myhrginoc
Retired Admin
Cherub
United States of America

Hand-picked

Post by Myhrginoc » Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:40 am

To some people, hacking and cracking are interchangeable terms, whereas other people make a significant distinction. Rather than escalate misunderstanding, we try to steer clear of the former term altogether just to eliminate confusion of intent. In general, we refer to the type of changes we do here as modding and editing, even if to some it is a beneficial form of hacking. It sounds like hairsplitting, 'tis true, but of such fractions are battles raised.

Some of our mods are sizable files, and it isn't fair to the Mac user to download 100MB or more just to find out there is custom code at the heart of it. Most are in zip, rar or ace format, which precludes seeing content ahead of time. We do try to identify mods that contain DLLs, with varying degree of effectiveness. Also some mods have the documentation accessible from the File Center "index card". If you do download a mod and it isn't compatible, please let us know and we will update the File Center information.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
~ Mark Twain
Run Diablo II in any version for mods: tutorial
The Terms of Service!! Know them, abide by them, and enjoy the forums at peace.
The Beginner's Guide v1.4: (MS Word | PDF) || Mod Running Scripts || TFW: Awakening

MickyBIs

Post by MickyBIs » Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:33 am

To get back on topic, any mod which comes as a single file with the extension .mpq should be mac compatible. Those which come with .dll files may have some features not work, or may not work at all. The only mod I've tried on my mac is Nezeramontias, which works great with the included switcher.

MickyBIs

erk

Post by erk » Wed May 04, 2005 12:58 am

Ancestral Recall is another one, I prefer Nezamontias over it for game balance, and interesting items like souls. Ancestral Recall levels way too fast, you are at level 95 before you know it and then suddenly don't progress much from that point. Some of the monster are too hard in the early game, corpsefire and Bone Ash to think of a couple. The set drops in AR are good.

Myhrginoc
Retired Admin
Cherub
United States of America

Hand-picked

Post by Myhrginoc » Fri May 06, 2005 2:19 am

You might have started a new topic, perhaps. This thread was long moldered in the grave before you posted in it.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
~ Mark Twain
Run Diablo II in any version for mods: tutorial
The Terms of Service!! Know them, abide by them, and enjoy the forums at peace.
The Beginner's Guide v1.4: (MS Word | PDF) || Mod Running Scripts || TFW: Awakening

Return to “Mac Modding”