Question about familiars

Information and updates for the Blackened mod. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mod, please post them here. Click here to visit the official web site.

Moderators: Necrolis, Adhin

No votes

Total votes: 0

KroniK
Retired staff
Paladin

Question about familiars

Post by KroniK » Tue Nov 25, 2003 1:45 pm

Do familiars gain power as you do, or do they just stay at level 1 for the entire game, making them utterly useless after a few acts?
"They say ignorance is bliss ... They're wrong"

Rhonlore
Champion of the Light

Re: Question about familiars

Post by Rhonlore » Tue Nov 25, 2003 1:47 pm

Familiars do not gain skill levels, but innately gain HP and DMG bonuses as you level.
"I feel like I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe" - Chib, Infoceptor Forums
The 1.10 Editorial

KroniK
Retired staff
Paladin

Post by KroniK » Tue Nov 25, 2003 1:48 pm

Aah, pretty sweet, cool, thanks.

Adhin
Retired staff
Angel

Post by Adhin » Tue Nov 25, 2003 3:28 pm

Ya, also im looking at alternative ways of bringing up his dmg because as lore pointed out he doesnt DO all that much later on. His HP isnt to bad and that poison skill lvl is half yours. So hes useful still heh just not the kinda minons ya wanna souly rely on like maybe the Gave Shadow =P
Blackened Mod: http://blackened.d2mods.com

"Evokation. Thats some kind of food, right?" - KaiKou

Def Con: kills owls dead

KroniK
Retired staff
Paladin

Post by KroniK » Tue Nov 25, 2003 3:31 pm

Well, how about letting your 'Summon Familiar" skill getting an extra skill point each 5 levels the character gains?
So every 5 levels, the familiar will get an extra bonus to make him a little nastier.

Adhin
Retired staff
Angel

Post by Adhin » Wed Nov 26, 2003 8:01 am

heh Because im not really sure if thats possible. Im sure if i found a few code monkeys to sit in a dark room with no food they could come up with something to be done in dll editing. But he isnt THAT bad, his HP is pretty good and his straight dmg isnt really all that terrible. His poison skill as i said really gives him a good bonus though.

I may look into adding a few quests or hidden things that - if its possible - allows for a permanent +1 increase in each classess skill.

KroniK
Retired staff
Paladin

Post by KroniK » Wed Nov 26, 2003 9:30 am

Well, I happen to have some Koreans on sale. They need to be fed only once a day and can wrok pretty hard :D
Nah, just kidding.
Anyway, whatever you do, I'm sure I'll like it. I can't even wait until the next update of your mod gets there.

Fatecaller

Post by Fatecaller » Sat Dec 13, 2003 4:25 am

Just a thought about making the familar nastier: make him look nastier. hehe, okay, that's not really the thought, but he does look a lil weak in my opinion (now the old Bone Spirit animation would be a great familar). What about making the familar like the Asn Shadow Warrior/Master, but limited to the Combat/Curse Tree? I think Vamp Aura would make the lil bugger golden.
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Adhin
Retired staff
Angel

Post by Adhin » Sat Dec 13, 2003 5:17 am

Ahh i can't really do that, the AI for the shadows are based off the casters abilitys. Basicly the AI uses whatever you have selected, or it goes off all skills you've spent points on. Least it think thats how master works id have to look into it more. BUT as ive said befor - the Familiar is not meny to be a super minion - hes just some small little freak you conjured up as your helper when you where in your early stages of your magery heh. In other words hes not, and shall never be some major minion - besides his poison attacks pretty powerful, even into later difficulties.

Return to “Blackened”