[apte] Skill suggestion thread

Information and updates the APTE mod. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mod, please post them here. The project was cancelled.

Moderator: Volf

Volf
Retired Admin
Dominion
Finland

Hand-picked

[apte] Skill suggestion thread

Post by Volf » Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:02 pm

Still havent managed to recruit a skill creator for the project but the mod will have new skills.

Sofar Planned,,

Al characters 1 new aura, a mf skill(increases mf%)
Assassin - Shurican based Skills (multiple shuricans)
Druid - Chacram based Skills

Well thats everything I came up with so far witch is why suggestions are more than welcome
---------------------
When you post a skill suggestion mention what character the skill is for.
Last edited by Volf on Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Xenast
Retired staff
Angel

Post by Xenast » Fri Sep 17, 2004 3:00 am

Hmm, would an attack skill that adds mf work? Like a basic attack skill with some ed, but adds mf to the kill. If such a skill is possible I would add it to the Barbarian.

Volf
Retired Admin
Dominion
Finland

Hand-picked

Post by Volf » Fri Sep 17, 2004 10:45 am

[quote=Xenast";p="192959"]Hmm, would an attack skill that adds mf work? Like a basic attack skill with some ed, but adds mf to the kill. If such a skill is possible I would add it to the Barbarian.[/quote]
Thinking passive for mf skill.

Xenast
Retired staff
Angel

Post by Xenast » Sat Sep 18, 2004 3:45 am

I wasn't suggesting it for one of the mf skills, just as a regular skill.. seems like it would be cool.

Malachor
Paladin

Post by Malachor » Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:41 am

when I read that skill Xenast, I thought about one that, every time you hit something, there's a chance(not a large one of course) that it drops an item/gold. Imagine beating up a monster for 5 mins, and having it surrounded by piles of gold, when you finally kill it :)
Ooooh, another one, this one's an item only one though. When you hit a monster, there's a chance that it gets cloned, yes, not one, but 2 Diablo clones 8-O

mishy23
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Re: [apte] Skill suggestion thread

Post by mishy23 » Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:31 am

Malachor, that should be possible to code ;)
I'm working on a spell 'duplicate' that clones the player when he is hit (creating a double-like shadow master(s))

No problems so far, and it should be able to work as a monster spell with tweaking too.

Well to add to the thread, an idea for paladins, thye need more non-aura skills, I think they should get some monkish chi spells,
and psionic skilsl would be cool for a class.

I don't want to mention things i'm working on, but i always thought necromancers would be cool to have a skeleton lord summon,
or druid to have a really powerful summon that combines all there other summonspowers

-mishy23
{Modding status: Project X}

Volf
Retired Admin
Dominion
Finland

Hand-picked

Post by Volf » Sat Sep 18, 2004 11:34 am

[quote=Xenast";p="193108"]I wasn't suggesting it for one of the mf skills, just as a regular skill.. seems like it would be cool.[/quote]
Ok
That kind of skill would be nice

[quote=Malachor";p="193127"]
when I read that skill Xenast, I thought about one that, every time you hit something, there's a chance(not a large one of course) that it drops an item/gold. Imagine beating up a monster for 5 mins, and having it surrounded by piles of gold, when you finally kill it :)
Ooooh, another one, this one's an item only one though. When you hit a monster, there's a chance that it gets cloned, yes, not one, but 2 Diablo clones 8-O
[/quote]
Like the idea anout dropp item on hit but have no clue of how it could be done,, i will sertainly give it a shot thou

[quote=mishy23";p="193130"]
Malachor, that should be possible to code ;)
I'm working on a spell 'duplicate' that clones the player when he is hit (creating a double-like shadow master(s))

No problems so far, and it should be able to work as a monster spell with tweaking too.
[/quote]
Just picturing the first unbalanced test stages of sush a skill,, using amazon multishot.. I have this area with thees mushroom type of monsters where I think this would fit in wery well.. Thinking it could be a monster skill instead (duplicate when hit)

[quote=mishy23";p="193130"]
Well to add to the thread, an idea for paladins, thye need more non-aura skills, I think they should get some monkish chi spells,
and psionic skilsl would be cool for a class.

I don't want to mention things i'm working on, but i always thought necromancers would be cool to have a skeleton lord summon,
or druid to have a really powerful summon that combines all there other summonspowers

-mishy23
[/quote]
I was thinking about giving al characters a couple of auras,, maby it would be a good idea to just use the paladdins auras and replace hes auras with other skills.

about necros I realy have no clue what would make them more interesting (never played with necro),, new summons are alwayes good

Druids might get more elemental skills,, have 1 new fire long range fir breathing skill for druids already..
-----------
A big problem I think are the synergies, i kindof hate them and like them at the same time,, thinking about removeing them completly but then i would need to rebalance al the old skills.

reiyo_oki
Retired staff
Arch-Angel
United States of America

Post by reiyo_oki » Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:05 am

I like the idea of moving the paladin's auras to other classes. So you could say have a sorceress with Meditation, or a barbarian with Prayer (reduced mana cost maybe).

I think the druid should have a new skill in the elemental tree that deals physical damage. That way if they run into an immune, they have some way of dealing with the bugger. Maybe make a new version of molten boulder w/o the fire?

As to the synergies, you could simply reduce the bonuses drastically to keep skills from getting overpowered like in vanilla d2.

For the necros, maybe make some better curses. Several of them NEVER get used (dim vision, weaken, decrepify)

Reality is different for each person; What one person sees, another does not. It's all a matter of perspective. This is my reality, I'll live it as I choose.

"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"
"Who desires peace should prepare for war."
- Vegetius De Rei Militari III

Volf
Retired Admin
Dominion
Finland

Hand-picked

Post by Volf » Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:34 am

I think the druid should have a new skill in the elemental tree that deals physical damage. That way if they run into an immune, they have some way of dealing with the bugger. Maybe make a new version of molten boulder w/o the fire?
That sounds like a good idea,, Sense druids worship nature,, the skills could be earth based such as a rain of rocks or something
As to the synergies, you could simply reduce the bonuses drastically to keep skills from getting overpowered like in vanilla d2.
Been thinking a bit about synergies,, the plan is to add as meny new skills to the chars as there is room (around 20/character i think),, well synergies will will be a real pain with that meny skills,, I might remove them completly
For the necros, maybe make some better curses. Several of them NEVER get used (dim vision, weaken, decrepify)
was thinking about giving necros 1 or 2 melee skills, theese wont be wery powerful but they will be helpful for low level necros.

Nightwolfe_Bloodmoon_BR

Post by Nightwolfe_Bloodmoon_BR » Mon Sep 27, 2004 4:38 pm

That monster skill that duplicates them on death sounds like a good idea. Maybe make Myconids (sp) or some kind of acid blod that splits into two smaller ones when you kill it. Could be interesting.

Any chance of making druid elemental skills castable in wereforms? Even if you had to tone then down so they aren't overpowered. Seems to me that the druid is the only class that is actually split in two so one whole skill tree is useless no mater what build you have.

I like the idea of some necro skills that allow him to fight alongside his summons instead of just following them around. Something with an increased attack rating so he can actually hit something. :-) Maybe magic based melee attacks. Like "Shadow claws" melee attack doing partial magic and partial physical damage. surrounds the necros weapon in tangible darkness. Self enchanting skills like that could still fit with the theme of the character.

How about melee axe or mace skills for the amazon and make her more of a female warrior then a ranged only class. Besides she looks very cool when weilding an axe! :-)

Also a skill tree for twohanded weapons would be great, make them more useable in the game. A twohanded weapon block or dodge. I made a simple one that was actually a dodge but looked and sounded like a block for my own mod.

Anyway...just a few ideas. If you want to seriously revamp the classes or just add a few skills to each and keep them similar to vanilla LOD let us know and I can throw a few more ideas around. :-)

Do you have anyone for art duties??? Ei. title pages, icons etc. are are you handling that as I read you are an artist by trade. :-)

Xenast
Retired staff
Angel

Post by Xenast » Mon Sep 27, 2004 5:03 pm

Do you have anyone for art duties??? Ei. title pages, icons etc. are are you handling that as I read you are an artist by trade. :-)
As far as I can tell Volf has already done most of the art work. All new borders, icons, titles pages ect are done. I think all that remains would be item graphics.

Volf
Retired Admin
Dominion
Finland

Hand-picked

Post by Volf » Mon Sep 27, 2004 6:25 pm

[quote=Nightwolfe_Bloodmoon_BR";p="194349"]
Any chance of making druid elemental skills castable in wereforms? Even if you had to tone then down so they aren't overpowered. Seems to me that the druid is the only class that is actually split in two so one whole skill tree is useless no mater what build you have.
[/quote]
Druids warewolf anim does not have the proper animations for casting spells,, Im not shore if i will use the warewolf morph skill at all.
I like the idea of some necro skills that allow him to fight alongside his summons instead of just following them around. Something with an increased attack rating so he can actually hit something. :-) Maybe magic based melee attacks. Like "Shadow claws" melee attack doing partial magic and partial physical damage. surrounds the necros weapon in tangible darkness. Self enchanting skills like that could still fit with the theme of the character. skill tree is useless no mater what build you have.
[/quote]
Melee skills for necro are already planned,, also considering a morph skill for him
How about melee axe or mace skills for the amazon and make her more of a female warrior then a ranged only class. Besides she looks very cool when weilding an axe! :-) [/quote]
something im still thinking about:
Chacrams and slingshots will be new weapons possibly for amazons or perhaps chacrams for druid and slingshot for ama,, hmm or slingshot for assassin,,,
Still wrapping my brain around those toughts ::D
Anyway...just a few ideas. If you want to seriously revamp the classes or just add a few skills to each and keep them similar to vanilla LOD let us know and I can throw a few more ideas around. :-) [/quote]
There will be meny new skills,, well as meny as we can fit in to the skill trees + skills that only spawn on sertain weapons
Last edited by Volf on Mon Sep 27, 2004 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hygiliak
Champion of the Light
Romania

Post by Hygiliak » Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:41 pm

Hello earthlings, I am the newly abducted skill creator working at volf's mod. I am happy to work with people like you, I hope this is going to turn up as a great mod.
[quote=Xenast";p="192959"]
Hmm, would an attack skill that adds mf work? Like a basic attack skill with some ed, but adds mf to the kill. If such a skill is possible I would add it to the Barbarian.
[/quote]
I have altered Berserk to increase magic find and gold find instead of dropping defense and got the Fist of Fortune skill; I removed damage and attack bonuses and added reduce target Ac with 100% it has a 2 second length... The passive way is easier, but kind of annoying to place skill points in magic find. Maybe make a passive skill that chars get at the beggining without need of investing points in it, make it have only one level and evolve with char level; I think it's logical to have more mf when you advance a level...[quote=Malachor";p="193127"]
[/quote]
I can do something pretty similar to that, but only on an item:
-make a kill counter that handeles gold, not kills;
-set 'direct' to 1 for gold in itemstatcost.txt
-make a state for the counter and add a gold steal overlay to it (like gold dropping over your head or something like that)
-put it on an item with onattack/onhit/onkill event and receive gold directly in the inventory when those events are triggered (with a certain chance. of course)

[this kind of stuff works also with statpts, newskills,goldbank,experience and any new stat that gets saved with the char; so we can have an item that will give 10% chance to add 1 skill point and 5 stat points at level up :mrgreen: ]

About paladin auras, we can remove them completely and make them spawn as automods on paladin only shields, to avoid spending points in them; we can make them grow with char level and not with skill level, so we don't need to balance the automods on high level items.

In fact, I am pretty sure to remove them from all skill tables, because thay have to be activated and tha right mouse button is unusable... and that's lack of flexibility; the gameplay is more dynamic when you can quickly change used skill without pressing f keys... I am a barb expert so I know what I'm saying... We just have to make auras available in other ways...

Synergyes deffinitely need to be modified, but I don't think is a good idea to remove them, maybe we can make them useful...

[quote=Volf";p="194363"]
[/quote][/quote]

Maybe we can make a casting anim for werewolf , I don't think wes hould let it go so easaly, it has to be a way to make him cast spells

Now, for a preview of what I want to do, I am going to work on a skill group gathered around an 'Archon Morph' spell. Basically I want you to be able to morph in an Archon (from Star Craft - I will use a slightly modified blue gloam animation) and give you 9 unique skills useable only when morphed (any other skills will be unusable when morphed), 3 attack skills (left skills) with no delay: Frost Rage, Fire Rage and Shock Rage; 6 additional spells: Hallucination, Psionic Storm, Psionic Shockwave, Psionic Torent, Psionize and Dimensional Rift.

I have currently implemmented only frost rage but I will do the others in time too.
Last edited by Hygiliak on Fri Oct 08, 2004 9:18 am, edited 3 times in total.
Death is not an option!

Return to “A Pledge To Evil”