Replacing Walking Animation With The Running One

Post here about all aspects of D2 mod making whether it's information, problems or whatever. Please specify whether your post is relating to Classic D2 or the Expansion.

Moderator: Nizari

No votes

Total votes: 0

RyanFialcowitz
Paladin

Replacing Walking Animation With The Running One

Post by RyanFialcowitz » Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:42 pm

I'd like to make it so that when the player character walks it looks like he/she is running. . . is this possible?

-Ryan P. Fialcowitz

Necrolis
Senior Admin
Throne
South Africa

Hand-picked

Post by Necrolis » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:45 am

The long way is ALOT of copy pasting, the better way is to rewrite the gfx loop(in 1.11b its alot easier to do than in 1.10) to use the same anim for the different modes
Netiquette, Do you USE it?!?! | Nefarius' Fixed TXT Files | Terms Of Service
Blackened | Day of Death | D2GFEx
"What was yours is mine. Your land, your people, and now your life." - Lim-Dul, the Necromancer
Judgement is Final, Death is Eternal

RyanFialcowitz
Paladin

Post by RyanFialcowitz » Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:46 am

Do I really have to ask?

How do I do either? Which is easier?

-Ryan P. Fialcowitz

onyx
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Re: Replacing Walking Animation With The Running One

Post by onyx » Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:32 am

Extract the running animations (all body parts with different equipment), rename them to match the filenames of the walking animations, and edit animdata.d2 if neccessery (meaning if framecounts of run and walk differ).
ONYX
Read The Terms of Service before posting!

Back to Hellfire - Site | Forum
Also visit: Incandescence * Diabolic Cartography * Inventharia * Diablo Evolution

Necrolis
Senior Admin
Throne
South Africa

Hand-picked

Post by Necrolis » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:11 am

Recoding the draw loop is harder & faster, Onyxs method is easier and slower, your choice[note this presupposes that have or don't have certain skills, ie the first option is very easy if you an experienced reverser and coder, or the second could be easier if your a uber god with bat scripts]
"What was yours is mine. Your land, your people, and now your life." - Lim-Dul, the Necromancer

RyanFialcowitz
Paladin

Post by RyanFialcowitz » Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:29 pm

Okay, how do I tell which are the running animations and what is the file extension I'm looking for. I already increased the walking speed to match running- so that shouldn't be a problem- thanks.

-Ryan P. Fialcowitz

Necrolis
Senior Admin
Throne
South Africa

Hand-picked

Post by Necrolis » Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:37 pm

running is mode RN(you'll also need to replace the townwalk as well) which is TW iirc

RyanFialcowitz
Paladin

Post by RyanFialcowitz » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:15 pm

RyanFialcowitz";p="405399" wrote:what is the file extension I'm looking for.

-Ryan P. Fialcowitz

cla$$ics
Arch-Angel
United States of America

Hand-picked

Post by cla$$ics » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:48 am

.dcc?
Although done for our needs, mod-makers should like these changes, too.
11/1/08 - COTL; 5/10/09 - Angel; 11/11/09 - Archangel

RyanFialcowitz
Paladin

Post by RyanFialcowitz » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:11 pm

Yes and it would have been helpful if some had mentioned that. But the renaming the files doesn't work anyway.

-Ryan P. Fialcowitz

Necrolis
Senior Admin
Throne
South Africa

Hand-picked

Post by Necrolis » Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:12 am

It does, how do you think the monk works in BTH? Did you put the files in the correct mpq(put them in the patch), and are the names 100% correct?

RyanFialcowitz
Paladin

Post by RyanFialcowitz » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:31 am

Just as an example:

Replacing BAHDBA1TWHTH.dcc, BAHDBA3TWHTH.dcc and BAHDBA5TWHTH.dcc with BAHDBA1RNHTH.dcc, BAHDBA3RNHTH.dcc and BAHDBA5RNHTH.dcc abd renaming them does not change anything in game- whether I put the files in patch_d2.mpq or the folders in the Diablo II directory.

-Ryan P. Fialcowitz

Necrolis
Senior Admin
Throne
South Africa

Hand-picked

Post by Necrolis » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:04 am

You've only done it for the hth type, you need all the types plus TW is just the town walk mode, you also need to replace normal walk[town walk should actually be replaced by town run), look in plrmode.txt for the mode lists you need

RyanFialcowitz
Paladin

Post by RyanFialcowitz » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:15 am

I've renamed all WL in Char to RN and all RN to WL. This should switch the animations outside of town, but it does not. Assuming Town Run is TR- it doesn't exist as far as I could tell, at least not as an animation file.

I should further point out that, at least for the barbarian, there are only the WL, RN and TW versions of the above files.

-Ryan P. Fialcowitz

RyanFialcowitz
Paladin

Post by RyanFialcowitz » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:36 pm

Renaming the files to switch the animations is completely unecessary. Nor does one need a bunch of complicated code edits. You can switch the walk/run animations by simply switching the tokes in PlrMode.txt- the elegant aspect of this method is that the code remains the same. This way the player won't be, quite unrealistically, punished for choosing to run rather then walk.

-Ryan P. Fialcowitz

Nefarius
Retired Admin
Cherub

Hand-picked

Post by Nefarius » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:40 pm

RyanFialcowitz";p="406056" wrote:Renaming the files to switch the animations is completely unecessary. Nor does one need a bunch of complicated code edits. You can switch the walk/run animations by simply switching the tokes in PlrMode.txt- the elegant aspect of this method is that the code remains the same. This way the player won't be, quite unrealistically, punished for choosing to run rather then walk.

-Ryan P. Fialcowitz
Yes, the game builds the internal token table by loading those txt files.
''(...) The game can basically be considered unhackable. '' - Blizzard Entertainment (30th May 2000)
Black Omen Productions | MetalStorm: Progress Report | Screenshots

RyanFialcowitz
Paladin

Post by RyanFialcowitz » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:58 pm

Necrolis";p="405373" wrote:The long way is ALOT of copy pasting, the better way is to rewrite the gfx loop(in 1.11b its alot easier to do than in 1.10) to use the same anim for the different modes
onyx";p="405373" wrote:Extract the running animations (all body parts with different equipment), rename them to match the filenames of the walking animations, and edit animdata.d2 if neccessery (meaning if framecounts of run and walk differ).
Then why did no one mention that a simple text edit would work in lew of all of the above? I've noticed this pattern in most of my posts here- a whole lot of misleading or inaccurate information is thrown out there and I usually end of up finding the correct information elsewhere. Considering that Necrolis is the primary respondent to most posts here. . . I'm not trying to come down on anyone but if you're going to answer virtually ever post then your information better be correct and I find hard to believe that I'm the only one that continually got incorrect information.

Peace.

-Ryan P. Fialcowitz

Necrolis
Senior Admin
Throne
South Africa

Hand-picked

Post by Necrolis » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:24 am

Well you've just been unfortunate enough to catch me out with an arb question or two(well the pierce one was my fault for attempting to read hex instead of asm, should have rather refered you to a post i made 8 months back). I don't claim to know everything(nor do I), I just know alot more because of code editing and years of exp, but if someone else has something better to say then say it(which seems to never happen, except on rare occasion...)

onyx
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by onyx » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:27 am

And since I see my post is engaged in this discussion too, I'll add a few lines here. I haven't replaced character walk with run ever. What I have done is replacing the whole character token with a different one. Needless to say, the PlrMode.txt edit that you mentioned wouldn't have worked in my case, that's why I don't even know about it. I have provided a solution to your problem that works if executed properly, and that was the only solution that I knew of. Would you be happier if your posts were left unanswered?

This is only a forum and you can't demand answers to your questions. We do what we can and we provide the solutions that we know of. Too bad no one who knew of the PlrMode.txt edit stopped by in your thread.
ONYX
Read The Terms of Service before posting!

Back to Hellfire - Site | Forum
Also visit: Incandescence * Diabolic Cartography * Inventharia * Diablo Evolution

RyanFialcowitz
Paladin

Post by RyanFialcowitz » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:18 am

Dude, as I said earlier- not blaming anyone. Just had several threads where it seemed I was getting the run around. Needless to say I didn't care for it- but as it seems it was unintentional then I think we can lay the matter to rest.

Lastly, this forum and all others like exist for the sole purpose of answering questions. No demanding ever took place. I asked questions and the bottom line in this case was there was a much simplier solution, is that your fault for not knowing it- absolutely not, but it's annoying to have waste quite a lot of time getting one complicated thing to work when a simple one would suffice.

In any case, thanks for the polite replies. I think I've done all I need to do with Diablo editing- so I thank you, all of you, for you input.

-Ryan P. Fialcowitz

Return to “General Mod Making”